The Avantone MixCubes are shielded, full-range mini reference monitors.
Their design is inspired by the legacy from the 5C Sound Cubes utilized in virtually all-major studios for the last Twenty five years.
To construct a complete range, rugged, mini-reference monitor to replace the older, aging, 5C Sound Cubes that are still being used worldwide, while offering a better, more linear frequency response. A complete year was spent studying all versions & revisions from the famous little 5C Sound Cubes. Research says there have been several driver versions released over the years with widely varying frequency response characteristics. We find the smoothest, most linear, full-range form of those 5C models for our testing benchmark. Next we analyzed their response characteristics in an anechoic chamber and proceeded to implement design upgrades. Realizing the significance of replacing a top “industry-standard reference monitor” we began by replicating its basic size, function, and sonic character.
We desired to take it up a notch though…
First, we addressed your cabinet Design… The initial 5C Sound Cubes were created of ½” particleboard covered with a glue-on wood grain contact paper. We chose to use thicker, denser MDF board because of its high rigidity and inherent low-resonance characteristics. We started having a 165mm (6 1/2″) sealed cube design with radiused edges. We then chose a stylish Polyurethane glossy “RETRO-CREAM” finish. The originals had either screws or on later models plastic binding posts mounted on a recessed plastic cup. We upgraded to high-end nickel plated, machined solid metal binding posts (Dual banana spacing) installed on a black anodized ,milled and silk-screened aluminum terminal plate. Next we added a 7mm thick neoprene pad embedded in to the base of the cabinet for everyone like a skid-resistant acoustic isolator. Additionally, for creative mounting situations, we recessed a business standard 5/8”-27 mic stand mount into the base.
Second, We addressed the motive force design… The originals were a basic 5” stamped frame design. We designed a proprietary 5.25” die cast aluminum frame driver/cone assembly to exceed the performance of the originals. The mounting bezel will be polished for an elegant appearance. The paper cone, chosen because of its musical character, is custom-designed & crafted using the finest Nz pulp with mica fibers added for lighter weight & rigidity. The material surround is created in Japan to exacting uniform thickness tolerances. The very best Plate and T-Yoke of driver are made of Sumitomo 1008 low carbon steel enabling the highest modeled flux density within the gap. The magnets are Y- 40 GRADE (MIL-SPEC) yielding a 43oz. High Power-low distortion motor structure.
Studios primarily use 2-way & 3-way larger monitors designed to represent a wide range reference viewpoint at higher listening levels. However, within this newly developing age of High Definition Audio, there is still a necessity to also hear what your mix will sound like when played back over small “bass-challenged” systems for example televisions, clock radios, computers, car stereos, iPod docking stations, etc. It is important to make mixing judgments based partially on listening to reference monitors that will not impart tonal anomalies caused by crossovers or inferior full range drivers. Particular attention is definitely paid towards the critical mid-range vocal/guitar/keyboard areas. This is where having a full-range monitor without a crossover is really revealing. Ten months of R&D comparative listening & tweaking went into the voicing from the Avantone MixCubes. The result is a very smooth sounding, full-range upgrade from the original 5C Sound Cubes. Listening tests demonstrate that the MixCubes have a smooth, more open, transparent top end response with extended bass while maintaining their basic original character.
Amplification & Wiring
Recommended power rating is 50-200 watts of solid state power or 10-100 watts of tube power. It is advisable to use a high quality studio-grade power amplifier. The metal binding posts around the rear of the speaker can accept bare wire, spade lugs, or single or dual banana plugs. It is advisable to use 12 -16 AWG wire for runs more than 6 feet
When positioning the Avantone MixCubes on stands or console bridges it is best to keep them at ear level and slightly angled in towards the engineer. Being that they are shielded it is ok to place them near a CRT video monitor or TV without causing any problems. The underside mic stand mounts will even allow you creative positioning options in unusual studio playback situations.
Avantone MixCubes Passive Mini-Reference Monitor Features
- 5.25″ Shielded Passive Full range 8 ohm drivers
- 6 1/2″ Cube Cabinet with multiple coats of “Retro-Cream” High Gloss lacquer finish
- Precision-milled high-rigidity MDF cabinet sides & baffle for low resonance
- Radiused corners & edges reduce edge diffraction for better imaging
- Custom Cone is crafted using New Zealand pulp with mica fibers added for light weight & rigidity
- Cloth surround made in Japan to uniform thickness tolerances
- Top Plate and T-Yoke of driver are made of Sumitomo 1008 low carbon steel
- The 43oz. low distortion motor structure magnets are Y- 40 GRADE (MIL-SPEC)
- High-Rigidity DIE-CAST Aluminum frame with polished mounting bezel
- Nickel Plated “high-end” binding posts (properly spaced for dual banana plugs) – insulated for CE compliance
- Anodized aluminum milled terminal plate
- 1/4″ soft Neoprene Pad is recessed into the cabinet base to serve as a non-skid acoustic isolator
- Standard size (5/8″- 27 threading) female microphone stand mount is built into the cabinet base
Avantone MixCubes Passive Mini-Reference Monitor Specifications
- System Type: Dynamic Shielded Full-Range Pair
- Frequency Response: 90Hz – 17,000Hz (useful musical range)
- Impedance: Nominal 8 ohms
- SPL / Sensitivity: 93dB @ 1w / 1 meter
- Recommended Power: From 10-200 watts
- Driver: 5.25″ cast aluminum frame
- Cabinet: sealed / 18mm MDF / Dacron acoustical stuffing
- Inputs: 3-way CE rated plastic encased metal binding posts (accepts up to 12-gauge wire, spade lugs, dual banana plugs)
- Weight: 6 lbs 11 oz (per speaker)
- Dimensions: 165mm x 165mm x 165mm (6 1/2″ x 6 1/2″ x 6 1/2″ in)