Pure . . . Your most important tracks deserve this.
The MANLEY all-tube microphone preamplifiers are available in 2-channel or single channel versions, primarily intended for use with modern capacitor (condenser) microphones. Now, 40 to 60 dBs of gain, enough for most ribbon mics, are selectable in precise 5dB steps by varying the amount of overall negative feedback on the GAIN switch. This is a very interesting feature indeed, allowing you to change the slew rate (speed), placement, and tonal balance of the sound from mellow and “tubey-er” through to faster, punchier and more aggressive. See “Notes on Variable Feedback” for more info.
Tube complements are common to both models: 1 x 12AX7EH hand-selected for lowest noise, and 1 x 6414 for each high-current output stage. Each unit is painstakingly hand wired using silver solder and audiophile-grade componentry. Double shielded custom-built power transformers and custom-built high capacity reservoir capacitors demonstrate our modern power supply design approach.
The front panel 1/4″ DIRECT INPUT jack makes these preamplifiers serve double duty as a pure tube line stage for instruments such as bass, drum machines, and keyboards when you need to get your tunes through some tubes before hitting a sterile digital recorder. Total gain in this mode becomes 20dB less than indicated on the GAIN switch. Both transformer coupled balanced and direct (via humongous metalized film MultiCaps) capacitor coupled unbalanced outputs are provided giving you the choice of audiophile-purist or big iron sounds. Perennial shoot-out winners, our single-ended preamp designs have become favorites among top engineers and home recordists alike looking for “that rich Manley sound with the tight bass and the top end that goes on forever” which begs to go direct to tape.
It’s a BIG sounding micpre!
Manley All Tube Microphone Preamplifiers – Mono or Dual Mono models available (specs same for both)
- MANLEY input & output transformers with nickel laminations in mu-metal cases
- Flat frequency response from 10Hz-60KHz
- Mic input PHASE REVERSE switch
- 2400 Ohm mic input Z; 48V phantom power built-in
- Hi-Z (100 kOhm) 1/4″ DIRECT INPUT
- Noiseless conductive plastic INPUT attenuators
- <0.05% THD @ 1kHz S/N ratio: 80dB
- EIN: -125dB
- Adjustable FEEDBACK / GAIN switch selects 5dB steps between 40 to 60 dB of gain
- Hi-current drive <50 Ohm LO-Z 1/4″ & XLR outputs
- AUTO MUTE w/ warm-up delay for power up/down
- Max. input (with input pad fully open): 450mV
- Max. output: +32dBu
- Max. output (into 600 Ohm load): (+15dBm)
- Power consumption Mono units: 18 watts; Dual Mono units: 36 watts
- Operating mains voltage: Units are purpose built for original destination country’s mains voltage: 100V, 120V, or 220-240VAC as indicated on the serial number badge. Power transformer must be replaced in order to change mains operating voltage. 120VAC units may NOT be rewired to put the primaries of the power transformer in series for 220-240V operation or a large radiated field of hum will develop. If changing locations/voltages, the power transformer must be replaced with the dedicated one for the voltage at which it will operate.
- Mains Voltage Frequency: 50~ 60Hz
- Dimensions: 19″ x 1 3/4″ x 10″ (occupies 1u)
- Shipping Weight: 12 lbs.