Their style is inspired from the legacy in the 5C Sound Cubes used in virtually all-major studios for your last 25 years.
To build a complete range, rugged, mini-reference monitor to replace the older, aging, 5C Sound Cubes which are nonetheless in use worldwide, while supplying an enhanced, a lot more linear frequency response. A total year was spent studying all versions & revisions of the famous little 5C Sound Cubes. Research says there were several driver versions released over time with widely varying frequency response characteristics. We chose the smoothest, most linear, full-range form of those 5C models to use as our testing benchmark. Next we analyzed their response characteristics in a anechoic chamber and proceeded to employ style upgrades. Realizing the importance of replacing a respected “industry-standard reference monitor” we began by replicating its basic size, function, and sonic character.
We wanted to go up a notch though…
First, we addressed the Cabinet Style… The first 5C Sound Cubes were created of ½” particleboard covered with a glue-on wood grain contact paper. We made a decision to use thicker, denser MDF board due to the high rigidity and inherent low-resonance characteristics. We started using a 165mm (6 1/2″) sealed cube style with radiused edges. Then we chose a classy Polyurethane glossy “RETRO-CREAM” finish. The originals had either screws or on later models plastic binding posts mounted on a recessed plastic cup. We upgraded to high-end nickel plated, machined solid metal binding posts (Dual banana spacing) attached to a black anodized ,milled and silk-screened aluminum terminal plate. Next we added a 7mm thick neoprene pad embedded in to the base of the cabinet for everyone as a skid-resistant acoustic isolator. Additionally, for creative mounting situations, we recessed a market standard 5/8”-27 mic stand mount into the base.
Second, We addressed the motive force design… The originals were a fundamental 5” stamped frame style. We designed a proprietary 5.25” die cast aluminum frame driver/cone assembly to exceed the performance on the originals. The mounting bezel will be polished with an elegant appearance. The paper cone, chosen because of its musical character, is custom-built & crafted using the finest New Zealand pulp with mica fibers added for lighter weight & rigidity. The cloth surround is made in Japan to exacting uniform thickness tolerances. The very best Plate and T-Yoke of driver are constructed with Sumitomo 1008 low carbon steel enabling the highest modeled flux density in the gap. The magnets are Y- 40 GRADE (MIL-SPEC) yielding a 43oz. High Power-low distortion motor structure.
Studios primarily use 2-way & 3-way larger monitors designed to represent a variety reference viewpoint at higher listening levels. However, on this newly developing chronilogical age of Hd Audio, there’s still a necessity to also hear what your mix will seem like when played back over small “bass-challenged” systems including televisions, clock radios, computers, car stereos, iPod docking stations, etc. You should make mixing judgments based partially on playing reference monitors that wont impart tonal anomalies caused by crossovers or inferior full range drivers. Particular attention is usually paid towards the critical mid-range vocal/guitar/keyboard areas. This is when having a full-range monitor without a crossover is really revealing. Ten months of R&D comparative listening & tweaking entered the voicing from the Avantone MixCubes. It makes sense a really smooth sounding, full range upgrade in the original 5C Sound Cubes. Listening tests show the MixCubes use a smooth, more open, transparent top end response with extended bass although maintaining their basic original character.
Amplification & Wiring
Recommended power rating is 50-200 watts of solid state power or 10-100 watts of tube power. It is advisable to use a high quality studio-grade power amplifier. The metal binding posts about the rear on the speaker can accept bare wire, spade lugs, or single or dual banana plugs. It is advisable to use 12 -16 AWG wire for runs over 6 feet.
When positioning the Avantone MixCubes on stands or console bridges it’s always best to have them at ear level and slightly angled in on the engineer. Because they are shielded it is ok to put them near a CRT video monitor or TV without causing any problems. The bottom mic stand mounts will also enable you creative positioning options in unusual studio playback situations.
Avantone MixCubes Passive Mini-Reference Monitor Features
- 5.25″ Shielded Passive Full range 8 ohm drivers
- 6 1/2″ Cube Cabinet with multiple coats of “Retro-Cream” High Gloss lacquer finish
- Precision-milled high-rigidity MDF cabinet sides & baffle for low resonance
- Radiused corners & edges reduce edge diffraction for better imaging
- Custom Cone is crafted using New Zealand pulp with mica fibers added for light weight & rigidity
- Cloth surround made in Japan to uniform thickness tolerances
- Top Plate and T-Yoke of driver are made of Sumitomo 1008 low carbon steel
- The 43oz. low distortion motor structure magnets are Y- 40 GRADE (MIL-SPEC)
- High-Rigidity DIE-CAST Aluminum frame with polished mounting bezel
- Nickel Plated “high-end” binding posts (properly spaced for dual banana plugs) – insulated for CE compliance
- Anodized aluminum milled terminal plate
- 1/4″ soft Neoprene Pad is recessed into the cabinet base to serve as a non-skid acoustic isolator
- Standard size (5/8″- 27 threading) female microphone stand mount is built into the cabinet base
Avantone MixCubes Passive Mini-Reference Monitor Specifications
- System Type: Dynamic Shielded Full-Range Pair
- Frequency Response: 90Hz – 17,000Hz (useful musical range)
- Impedance: Nominal 8 ohms
- SPL / Sensitivity: 93dB @ 1w / 1 meter
- Recommended Power: From 10-200 watts
- Driver: 5.25″ cast aluminum frame
- Cabinet: sealed / 18mm MDF / Dacron acoustical stuffing
- Inputs: 3-way CE rated plastic encased metal binding posts (accepts up to 12-gauge wire, spade lugs, dual banana plugs)
- Weight: 6 lbs 11 oz (per speaker)
- Dimensions: 165mm x 165mm x 165mm (6 1/2″ x 6 1/2″ x 6 1/2″ in)