Avantone Pro CV12 BLA Large-diaphragm Tube Condenser Microphone
With a sound that rivals much higher-priced mics, Avantone’s CV12 is renowned for its incredible price-to-performance value. It’s been used in studios worldwide, from modest home setups to top-shelf facilities. And now, thanks to Black Lion Audio, it sounds better than ever. The mod-meisters at BLA have re-engineered this already killer tube mic, giving it a flatter response, balancing its frequency range, sweetening its highs, and maximizing its lows. You also get an upgraded Jetsun shockmount and an eye-catching faux alligator skin case. The Avantone Pro CV12 BLA is one of the best-sounding tube condenser microphones you’ll find in this price range.
Making a great-sounding mic even better
Black Lion Audio has been modding gear for over a decade — they know their stuff. For the CV12, they started out with an overhauled circuit that tames the mic’s high-mid bump, resulting in a flatter frequency response. Then they swapped out the existing 32mm K67 capsule for a 34mm CK12-styled, smoothing out the mic’s highs and bringing out its lows. A Solen FastCap coupling capacitor gives you extreme transparency. On top of that, the mic’s power supply has been completely redesigned with a new low-noise circuit, while extra filtering on its transformer bridge diode ensures a super-clean sound. At Sweetwater, we’ve found that the BLA-modded CV12’s improved balanced response and increased headroom sound great on everything. This microphone is a true tube-fueled workhorse.
About Black Lion Audio
Founded in Chicago in 2006, Black Lion Audio has made their mark on the audio industry by hot rodding audio equipment and upgrading the sound quality of popular music-production gear, elevating industry-standard products to new levels of sonic quality. Though they started off modding gear from other manufacturers, they’ve utilized their cumulative expertise to design their own line of boutique mic preamps and word clocks. BLA gear and modded gear can be found in studios from LA to New York to Nashville and heard on projects from artists like Maroon 5, Alison Krauss, Metallica, T-Pain, George Strait, MGMT, Beyonce, George Duke, Slayer, Erykah Badu, Rod Stewart, and more.
Avantone Pro CV12 BLA Features:
- Overhauled circuit tames the mic’s high-mid bump for a flatter frequency response
- 34mm CK12-styled capsule smooths out high frequencies and brings out low frequencies
- Solen FastCap coupling capacitor gives you extreme transparency
- Redesigned power supply with a new low-noise circuit
- Extra filtering on its transformer bridge diode ensures a super-clean sound
- Improved balanced response and increased headroom sound great on everything
- Jetsun shockmount provides excellent isolation while allowing performers to get closer to the mic
- Eye-catching faux alligator skin case
- Microphone Type:Tube Condenser
- Polar Pattern:Multi-pattern, 9 selectable
- Diaphragm Size:1.33″ (34mm)
- Frequency Response:20Hz-20kHz (±3dB)
- Max SPL:136dB SPL (146dB with pad engaged)
- Output Impedance:250 ohms
- Signal to Noise Ratio:78dB (A weighted)
- Sensitivity:-35 dB
- Low Cut Filter:80Hz
- Color:Nickel Trim with Metallic Cabernet Red Body
- Power Source:External Power Supply included
- Connector:7-pin XLR (mic), XLR (power supply)
- Dimensions:9.5″ x 1.8″
- Weight:1.8 lbs.
- Included Accessories:Jetsun Shockmount, Deluxe Carrying Case
- Manufacturer Part Number:CV12BLA